How to Prevent Dryer Fires
Did you know that according to the U.S Fire Administration 2,900 home dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss? The leading cause of home clothes dryer fires is a failure to clean them which causes lint to accumulate and cause a fire. Home fires happen more often during the fall and winter seasons. Here are some ways to avoid fires within your home:
- Clean the lint screen/filter before or after drying each load of clothes.
- Clean the dryer vent at least once a month to avoid lint accumulation.
- Use metal dryer ducts to help prevent dryer fires.
- No matter the kind of duct is installed in your dryer, make sure to regularly clean it.
- Occasionally wipe the sensor with a rag or cotton ball.